Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Want DNA Testing Done - Options Under Family Law?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Roderzzz, 7 May 2016.

  1. Roderzzz

    Roderzzz Member

    7 May 2016
    Likes Received:
    Hey guys.

    My ex-partner had a baby 3 months after our relationship ended. I found out through someone else as we don't talk. As far as I know, the father is unknown on the birth certificate. This was in 2012. Due to circumstances, I'm only able to pursue this now.

    In 2012, lawyers sent out an email to her on my behalf to which she denied any relationship or that she was living with me. 4 years on... I can't find any contact details or address or anything of where she is. Almost disappeared. I'm wanting a dna testing done asap because I want to know and if she is mine, so I can be involved with the baby.

    What are my options under Family Law? Does a location order apply here?
  2. AllForHer

    AllForHer Well-Known Member

    23 July 2014
    Likes Received:
    I would say so, but you need to contact Legal Aid to try and organise family dispute resolution first. They have more resources available to them to track down and contact parties that have seemingly disappeared, and mediation is mandatory before you can commence any proceedings in court anyway. If they can't find her or she refuses to attend, then you can file through court for a location order, a declaration of parentage, and parenting orders. You will be liable for child support if the child is yours, as well.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page