VCAT lawyer for landlord

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

tomsan

6 August 2017
My friend happens to be a landlord who let a tenant share bedroom in his house without an agent involved.
Unfortunately the relationship with tenant went sour. The situation is stressful as they have to still share house and has potential for serious outcomes.

He lacks confidence in dealing with legal matters. Tenant gets a free lawyer from legal aid. Inexperienced landlord is at a disadvantage in VCAT dealing against a professional. He is realizing it is nearly impossible to find a lawyer for a landlord, who has experience in dealing with VCAT hearing.

-Not many lawyers have VCAT experience.
-Agents anyway don't need lawyers as they can manage at VCAT themselves.
-Lawyers only have commercial tenancy experience as residential tenancy dispute is too low value.

I tried to google and found others asking similar question...

Any suggestions? He is after a private (PAID) lawyer, not that he wants a free lawyer.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I understand where you are coming from.

A typical suburban lawyer can probably assist prepare the paperwork. Someone in the property or general law field should be able to help.

Your friend may not need representation if the paperwork is all done for him. Tribunal members are generally experienced and will be able to work through the issues if you have good paperwork. Sometimes the tribunal allows a 'friend' to assist if the applicant has trouble with nerves or verbalising their argument.