QLD Brand New car warranty

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Shane Pares

14 November 2017
I purchased a brand-new vehicle in July 2013 the build date was December 2012
It has been serviced at either a very reputable mechanic or the dealership as per the service recommendations. The new car came with a “3 year/100,000 km warranty” & doesn’t state “which ever comes first”
I now have a seized engine after the car has done 95,000 km
, would you consider the car being four years old still under warranty or with Australian consumer law having an engine on a car that I paid nearly $100,000 for, not last a reasonable time considering its service history, having a seized engine, where would you say I stand.

Tripe

22 May 2017
You normally have a good chance of financial help from the car company if you have a major mechanical failure out of warranty, if you had the car serviced only at authorised service centres.

It sounds like you used an unauthorised service centre at some stage, which may cause you some grief? as they may not of used recommended parts and oils etc.

My understanding on warranties is, what ever occurs first, so if it is a 36 month warranty and you are outside this, then you are most likely out of warranty. Sometimes Drive trains have a 5 year warranty?

Google is your friend, check out forums etc, try to find out if it is a well known fault in your car, if so, find out what others did to rectify the problem and did the car company come to the party to help out with costs?

Tripe

22 May 2017
Only communicate with the car company in writing, so you can get their reply in writing.

Clancy

6 April 2016
What do you mean by 'seized engine' ?

It is not something that just happens on its own, it is 'caused' by something? did you get a failure in the cooling system? and or gasket failure or cracked head leaking water out and or contaminating the oil?