Updating to current home address? Illegal not to?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

robotdog

30 March 2020
Hi there,

I'd like to know if it is actually illegal or just highly frowned upon on not updating ones NSW drivers licence to their current home address. I've been browsing around and found around 2 aus.gov websites that lightly discuss about it and a checklist on what other stuff to update (insurance, businesses, animals, motor vehicles).

- On this website it states that one "must let Roads and Maritime Services know your new details within 14 days"
-Also at the bottom of it, it states "Under road transport legislation you are required to notify Roads and Maritime Services of any change of address." And I believe them, but I just have no clue on how to find that exact statement/topic/idea.

best regards

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
NSW right? You want Regulation 122 of the Road Transport (Driver Licensing) Regulation 2017:

122 CHANGE OF NAME, ADDRESS OR MEDICAL CONDITION
(cf 2008 Reg cl 117)

(1) The holder of a driver licence must notify the Authority, not more than 14 days after the change, about any change in the holder's--
(a) name, or
(b) residential address, or
(c) address for the service of notices.
: Maximum penalty--20 penalty units.

Reactions: Tim W

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Hi there,

I'd like to know if it is actually illegal or just highly frowned upon on not updating ones NSW drivers licence to their current home address. I've been browsing around and found around 2 aus.gov websites that lightly discuss about it and a checklist on what other stuff to update (insurance, businesses, animals, motor vehicles).

- On this website it states that one "must let Roads and Maritime Services know your new details within 14 days"
-Also at the bottom of it, it states "Under road transport legislation you are required to notify Roads and Maritime Services of any change of address." And I believe them, but I just have no clue on how to find that exact statement/topic/idea.

best regards
So yes, your infringement stands.
And no, you have no defence to it.