VIC unregistered company advice

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JonnoWill

4 February 2023
I am currently in a dispute, or rather a non-dispute, with my neighbor. This individual moved in and expressed interest in repairing the fence. I informed him that it wasn't a priority for me, but he suggested he could build the fence and I could make the payment by the end of the year and he sent that by by text he also had a letter dropped off at my place. About 35 days after the fence was completed, he sent me a text, insisting that he needs the money immediately. I suspect this urgency stems from the fact that he is no longer my neighbor as he has subdivided the block.

Despite our agreement, I told him it wasn't a priority for me to pay at that moment, and that's when he began hurling insults. I reiterated our initial agreement that I would pay by the end of the year and requested his bank account details and a tax invoice for the work done.

Here's where the issue arises: the invoice is for the exact amount that I owe him not the full amount it cost to build the fence, and upon further investigation, I discovered that the invoicee name has been deregistered as of 2021 and the ABN on the invoice belongs to an individual not mentioned anywhere on the invoice . My question is, shouldn't the invoice be for the full amount to construct the fence? Also is it illegal to issue a tax invoice from an invoicee that is no longer registered? Further, doesn't the invoicee and the ABN noted need to match?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au