WA Traffic Law - Driving Under Suspension Fines?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lml

29 December 2018
I'm due in court on Jan 3rd for the driving under suspension charge. I pleaded not guilty via mail in November. I wasn’t aware that I was under suspension when I was pulled over. At the time the officer said basically go home and sort out in the morning. Then sent the summons.

Both officers have lied in their statements saying that I admitted to having knowledge and that I would be summonsed to traffic law court. Aren’t they meant to carry voice recordings? If not, should I change my plea as it’s my word against there’s? Can you change my plea?

Adam1user

5 January 2018
im due in court jan 3rd for the above charge, I pleaded not guilty via mail in November. I wasn’t aware that I was under suspension when I was pulled over, at the time the officer said basically go home and sort out in the morning. Then sent summons, both officers have lied in their statements saying that I admitted to having knowledge and that I would be summonsed to court. Aren’t they meant to carry voice recordings? If not should I change my plea as it’s my word against there’s? Can u change my plea?

I think it is better to engage a lawyer/solicitor, if you change your plea then you will lose your credibility. I think you are right in police having the recording. Talk to legal aid if you are not able to engage a lawyer, they will be best to advise you.

Why have you waited till now to act on this? You did not leave yourself time to handle this.

I am not saying not change your plea, I am suggesting to talk to a lawyer.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
I think it is better to engage a lawyer/solicitor, if you change you plea then you will lose your credibility. I think you are right in police having recording. Talk to legal aid if you are not able to engage a lawyer, they will be best to advise you.
Seconded. Good recommendation.

Lml

29 December 2018
Seconded. Good advice.
Legal aid can’t help as its a traffic matter. And I can’t get a response on whether the police have to record the conversation. If I turn up I may get more punishment than if I try and settle with the police prosecutor. What reason could I give to seek an adjournment