QLD Traffic Infringement Notice for Red Light Offence - Alternative Fines?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

CammyQLD

15 February 2016
I received a 'fail to stop at red light' traffic infringement notice. However, in the photo, you can see clearly that I half-changed lanes into the right turn lane that had a red arrow, but then changed my mind and went straight through a green light.

I called the police and they explained that if the majority of your car is in one lane, then traffic law is what applies to that lane. So even though I did not go right through the intersection, but I went straight through the green, then I still am seen as going through a red light. The police also pointed out that you cannot change lanes if it is not broken so crossing the lane to go straight was not allowed either.

For that reason, I would understand if they send me an infringement for crossing a straight white lane line (though I cannot find a road rule that lists that as an infringement) but not for going through a red light because I didn't actually go through the red arrow.

Is there another fine they could give me? Would it be worth opting to a court hearing?

Thanks for your help.

Ponala

10 February 2015
When I used to prosecute, I got a number of these and the offence is not made out, as you have not disobeyed the turn stop light. There are other relevant offences such as disobey lane markings, but you have not been charged with these. I would contest the matter.

CammyQLD

15 February 2016
When I used to prosecute, I got a number of these and the offence is not made out, as you have not disobeyed the turn stop light. There are other relevant offences such as disobey lane markings, but you have not been charged with these. I would contest the matter.
Thank you for taking to time to reply Ponala. You have been very helpful.

tinned

14 June 2016
Thank you for taking to time to reply Ponala. You have been very helpful.

I'm facing the exact same circumstances, so I'd be interested in hearing the verdict for this. My car is about 1/2 over the line, but the second photo clearly indicates that I travelled straight - thus going through a green light.

shanec

7 October 2021
I received a 'fail to stop at red light' traffic infringement notice. However, in the photo, you can see clearly that I half-changed lanes into the right turn lane that had a red arrow, but then changed my mind and went straight through a green light.

I called the police and they explained that if the majority of your car is in one lane, then traffic law is what applies to that lane. So even though I did not go right through the intersection, but I went straight through the green, then I still am seen as going through a red light. The police also pointed out that you cannot change lanes if it is not broken so crossing the lane to go straight was not allowed either.

For that reason, I would understand if they send me an infringement for crossing a straight white lane line (though I cannot find a road rule that lists that as an infringement) but not for going through a red light because I didn't actually go through the red arrow.

Is there another fine they could give me? Would it be worth opting to a court hearing?

Thanks for your help.
I am wondering how you went with this? As I am facing court for the exact same thing in a few weeks?