WA Traffic accident

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Helen001

30 March 2017
My son was at fault when he hit another car from behind and it was a write off. Now the owner of that car has messaged my son saying she's a single mother and that her car was an older model and market value insured and that she wants compensation.
She has also started calling his work and asking his boss for his details. This has been so constant that his boss has blocked her number.

Son was in a work car when he hit her from behind,and his boss was driving behind him. Police also attended.
Is she just trying to get more money or is she legally entitled to ask for compensation above what insurance pays out?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
She is entitled to sue your son and/or the employer for enough cash to make good her loss.
That she may be insured (or underinsured) herself does not change that.

Zerojay

12 March 2017
As it appears your son was driving a company car on company business, the company’s policy should respond to her demands. If a claim has been lodged, give her the claim number and contact details and leave it to the insurance company to deal with her and sort out fair compensation with her insurer which will be seeking to recover what they paid out to her.

I do not give legal advice, just my opinion based on many years of work experience with an insurance company.