To divorce overseas marriage with mutualunderstanding

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Eva9429

9 November 2019
Hello, I'm on Student visa in Australia but I have more than enough points for PR as well. Me and my husband face so many difficulties currently. We always had a long distance relationship and now it's been almost 2 years we have been living separately. He is not in Australia. I have sexual issues and depression as well . So both of us wants to get divorced. Because we both want each other to move on. Can I apply the divorce in here with out making a big scene? Thank you so much.

Atticus

6 February 2019
So both of us wants to get divorced. Because we both want each other to move on. Can I apply the divorce in here with out making a big scene?
Yes, as long as you are lawfully present in Australia and intend to continue living in Australia.... AND....you have been living in Australia for at least the last 12 months

Reactions: Eva9429

Eva9429

9 November 2019
Thank you so much. So I don't have to go back to my birth country and any courts for this right? As we are genuine in the case, my lawyer can handle it right? Thank you.

Atticus

6 February 2019
Should be able to do it all here.... You will need a copy of your marriage certificate & have it translated into english by a properly accredited translator.... Your lawyer should know the process

Reactions: Eva9429