WA Theft of Motorised Bike from Shopping Centre - Insurance Liability?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
11 March 2015
My son visited large shopping centre on his motorised bike. He secured it with chain, left it for 30mins returned and it had been stolen. How do we stand re claim on shopping centre's insurance and how do we proceed with claim? Or theft charge? Thanks

S

Sophea

I have never heard of anyone claiming on a shopping centre's insurance policy for something stolen from the parking lot. You should however report the matter to police and to the shopping centre management to see if they have any surveillance footage of the theft. If you didn't insure the bike I am doubtful you will be covered by anyone else's insurance.

11 March 2015
It has been reported and shopping center security as well. They state there are no cameras in this part of the shopping center and so have no footage. They are going to look again, as I have stated that surely in this small window of time there must be some movement of some people/person with a bike where there are cameras and who carries bolt cutters around with them? Obviously people loitering and intent on thieving.