WA Tenancy Agreement - Charges for Contractor Owner has Hired?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Hazel2017

11 July 2017
WA
As per our tenancy agreement, signed 2.5 months ago, we will maintain the swimming pool..Recently a poolman/ contractor, hired by the owner (apparently), arrives to do a service (which we thought was great). And then the Agency invoices us for the chemicals used by the contractor. None of this is in the tenancy agreement.

Surely they have a responsibility to inform us in advance, of what the owner has requested and of the charges that will be made to us; and surely it should be added to the tenancy agreement.

It's not the charge that bothers me, it's the Agents attitude and emails repeatedly saying with snippets that "the tenants shall maintain the swimming pool ...". I take that to mean myself and my husband, us being the tenants.

Please help. Thank you

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If the pool service by a 3rd party is not in the lease and you have not agreed to the service in any other agreement then you do not have to pay.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Not only that, but depending on your state's laws there are three times when your landlord or their agents (ie the pool people) can enter the premises during the lease: with your consent, with the appropriate notice, or in an emergency.

Hazel2017

11 July 2017
WA
Not only that, but depending on your state's laws there are three times when your landlord or their agents (ie the pool people) can enter the premises during the lease: with your consent, with the appropriate notice, or in an emergency.

We let the pool people in as the Agent said the owner had authorised it. But at no time did anyone tell us that we would be charged for the chemicals used. I told the agent the matter was unjust, and her actions bordered on bullying and harassment. They have quashed the invoice now. Thanks

Hazel2017

11 July 2017
WA
If the pool service by a 3rd party is not in the lease and you have not agreed to the service in any other agreement then you do not have to pay.
Thanks Rod. The Agent's condescending attitude p'd me off more than anything

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Thanks Rod. The Agent's condescending attitude p'd me off more than anything
Real Estate Agents work for the landlords, not the tenants.
To most agents, tenants are nowt but trading stock.