VIC Statement of Estate

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Destiny

10 March 2020
Victoria
Hi This in relation to preparing Estate Inventory, Income & Assets for records, although very minimal with no probate required. I presume this is a Non Estate Asset?
1. Would a retirement pension annuity need to be listed in the reports (as e.g asset) although the funds are distributed outside the Will to a binding Beneficiary ,as per the trustees.
2. If this is not required to be listed, and a residual beneficiary requests to see records, can the beneficiary therefore claim that it was hidden from disclosing.

I suppose the query is whether it would be listed by a Solicitor or not, and whether the residuary beneficiary is entitled to see that info.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
By ’outside the will’, what you actually mean is outside the estate. Certain things, notably some superannuation funds and life insurance proceeds, don’t form part of the assets of the estate.

If they don’t form part of the assets of the estate, it necessarily follows that they don’t form part of the accounting and reports of the estate.

Reactions: Destiny

Destiny

10 March 2020
Victoria
Thanks for reply. I also query that if an ex wife, who took over a property by survivorship, her Solicitor requesting a copy of the death certificate. Is the executor obligated to?
My understanding is, Will yes due to mentioned on a prior Will, but Death Certificate ?
Sorry they seem to be getting very pushy now and expect me to do their ground work and answer their questions now at my costs.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
You often need the death certificate to register the change of ownership in respect to the deceased estate.