NSW Starting an Animal Abuser List on Facebook - Defamation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sammy1

22 September 2015
Hi!

I would like to start a page on Facebook listing animal abusers in my country or vicinity. I would obviously make sure there was enough supporting evidence before doing so but I would like to know whether this could be classed as defamation or if there were any other legal problems I could face by doing this?

I'm sick of seeing stories about animal abusers and knowing that most of them can still own pets. I am hoping that a list can help registered ethical breeders and rescues make a more informed decision about where their animals go, therefore helping ensure animals don't end up in the wrong home.

This would make it harder (although I know not impossible) for animal abusers to get their hands on another pet. It would also be good for people who want to hire a dog walker/trainer/sitter etc and want to make sure their beloved pet isn't harmed.

I figure some information is better than no information. I look forward to hearing from someone regarding this.

Kind regards

Michael T

9 April 2014

Mike Rowedick

29 September 2015
Probably the only thing you could post online is actual people who have been convicted and found guilty of animal cruelty. Having evidence that you think confirms them guilty means nothing and would leave you wide open for a defamation case. You do not have the right to declare whether some one is guilty of something based on any amount of evidence, only the courts can do this.