NSW Speeding Fines with Misspelt Surname - Return to Sender?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You should pay the fine because it keeps your own name "clean",
and because that's what makes this all be over.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
the police did not ask for your contact address as they have the car rego and the fine goes to whom it is registered to, as you noticed. If the name is misspelled by mistake, this is a human error and not valid for the fine to go away.
In terms what you have agreement with your friend, that goes back to you both to agree on what happens, but why should he pay half if you sped and broke the law, he asked you to drive him, and he gave you his car to use, so i think this is a good deal, if you just drive him only and not use it for your personal use, that is what you need to consider.

The fine will not go away, it will stay and needs to be dealt with,
you can ask for a review, if you have a clean record, then you can ask for caution and you may get it,

Diegoarmando

19 January 2018
He's probity gone review it. You see i do him a favor driving him around cause he's not able to drive. i do not use his car for private use.
Well the things is...i got pulled over so the fine is not on the car but on the user. The fine is sent with my wrongly spelled surname to his address.
I'm not linked to that address.
He said to me 'forget about the fine, your wrongly spelled surname is in the system now, they can never trace you'.
He's pretty sure about it but i got my doubts so i asked him to review it.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
He said to me 'forget about the fine, your wrongly spelled surname is in the system now, they can never trace you'.
He's wrong.
Having said that, tactical police will not come through your door at 4am for it either.
Just pay the fine, and make this all be over.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
He's probity gone review it. You see i do him a favor driving him around cause he's not able to drive. i do not use his car for private use.
Well the things is...i got pulled over so the fine is not on the car but on the user. The fine is sent with my wrongly spelled surname to his address.
I'm not linked to that address.
He's pretty sure about it but i got my doubts so i asked him to review it.
It is up to you. Here are the facts: - the fine will not go away, it has to be dealt with, - You did speed, then it is your fault, did your friend ask you to speed to get somewhere for example? if yes, then he is at fault too, and it was up to you to accept his request which is your fault again, You can listen to him and not do anything and then the car will not have the registration renewed, do you think the police will care who drove or not? it is up to both of you to deal with it, if not now, then it will be through the courts, and it will be more costly.
Your best option is ask for a review, then see if you can get it (but I doubt it for speeding fine, if you don't have a very good valid reason like going to emergency to hospital).
Good luck with it,