QLD Is Provisional Driver Fine from South Australia Valid?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mandsp

3 January 2017
I was booked for speeding in South Australia while on holidays. I have a Queensland provisional drivers licence.

I was charge not only with speeding fines but a second fine for being a provisional driver. The speeding ticket was perfectly valid, however.

With the provisional driver fine, should I have been charged with this given that there is no such fine in Queensland and I'm a Queensland provisional licence holder not a South Australian one?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What law/section is the second fine accusing you of breaking? eg MVA s81A(9)

SA recognises interstate provisional licences and you need to drive in SA according to SA laws.

Suspect the second fine is valid.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Not sure where A688 is from. Doesn't appear to be a section from the SA Motor Vehicles Act 1959, or SA Australian Road Rules, or SA Motor Vehicles Regulations 2010, or Road Traffic ACt 1961.

mandsp

3 January 2017
Yes, I can't seem to find it either. Wording simply says "provisional driver excess speed great than 10 km p/ hr".

It was 112 in a 100 zone, by the way. The speeding I understand but my only thinking is that this provisional fine only applies to SA licence holders as they're limited to 100km per hour regardless. I checked with Qld before I left and they told me that only Queensland provisional conditions apply to me when driving interstate not the conditions of the state I'm driving in. Of course speeding is speeding wherever you are.