SA Speeding fines so large under a payment plan they will never be paid back, can they be forgiven?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

EmmaLouise1

27 March 2021
Somebody I know has speeding fines of over $30000 left to pay, as he does not earn alot of money, he has a payment plan organised for $50 a fortnight, paying off $1300 a year. he got these fines a long time ago, and was actually jailed for driving offences and since then, learnt his lesson, and has a clean driving record for the past 5 years, he is intending to get married and start a family soon, basically my question is, now that assets will be combined, expenses are shared, is there any way he can have these speeding fines cleared so that his family doesn't have to live with the burden of him being an idiot so long ago? I feel like this kind of feels like indentured servitude at this point.

Atticus

6 February 2019
is there any way he can have these speeding fines cleared so that his family doesn't have to live with the burden of him being an idiot so long ago?
He may be able to work off some of what he owes by community service. Would need to speak to whoever administers the fines in the relevant state to see first if it's possible, then enter into an agreement if it is.

PosComs

25 March 2021
Perth, WA

It's the government 99 per cent sure he will always have to repay fines and going to court against it will also incur more even bankruptcy doesnt dissolve these debts why I don't know but the links above are for people who can basically do short course eg: mental health etc to gain skills while paying off fines - it's there for people that are in the same position as your friend.

sammy01

27 September 2015
$30000
is that a typo?
And he has a licence? I'd have thought he'd be banned from driving for decades?