NSW Speed Cameras NSW Multi Charges

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

billiegirl77

9 January 2017
This is related to my husband whom is unfortunately is a lead foot, funny enough has full license with no points lost (of course has tickets in the past).

There is a red light speed camera on this stretch of road that has been there for over 5 years – the camera only ever detects speeding part if trying to beat the lights, the speed limit is 60 there. So if you did 70 on the green it wouldn’t nab you. My husband has been going though there for last 3 years for work and I know he speeds (he shouldn’t but he does) and never got a ticket going through there in that 3 years.

That has now changed and they now nap you speeding there 24/7. So him not knowing this he got a ticket, a week and half after the offence. Fine was for 70 in a 60 zone 1 point ($120 I think) he took that, but then got another ticket the following day for the same thing and then got another one for a bit faster a few days later $280 and 3 points (all 1.5 weeks after the offence). Issue is the law was broken but the fine takes 1.5 weeks to receive, so anything from that point to the first fine he could be now hit for (well he has for 3 at the moment, we hoping all done)

So what is his options for getting out of the additional fines? As does seem harsh, if a policeman gets you, you are aware then and there and on your way with a fine and lesson learnt (hopefully). But cameras take so long before you know about the changes etc. So we just want to know our legal rights here.

Currently he is up for $520 in fines and 5 demerit points for the same camera on different days. He doesn't want to get out of them all - He said honour the first fine as "OK fair enough" just additional ones he feels is unfair due to the changes of the camera (his words)

Atticus

6 February 2019
My opinion.... He's got nothing. Just pay them & learn... If he had sped through ANY speed camera on those same days he would have got even more fines.... What would be his defense?... Your honor,, I have been speeding through those lights for 3 years without consequence, now they have changed then & I get fined.... Can't see how that would end well

Reactions: Jake Matherson

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
It's not harsh at all. He is a serial offender and got caught on separate occasions.

The fact that the three fines are close together in time is irrelevant and none of the fines will be waived - especially in NSW where our Government is so hell bent on revenue raising from things like this.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Speeding - NSW Centre for Road Safety
speed is a factor in 40% of fatalities.
I was thinking if they haven't changed the sinage then maybe... Maybe at a stretch he could make a case on administrative grounds.

But with 3 fines - it shows a lack of regard and I reckon the magistrate will tear him apart for trying to make the case that there is anything unfair or harsh about this.

Some fun math for hubby. If you travel 100km at 110kmph you get to your destination 9 minutes faster than if you travel at 100km... Most of us are not travelling on highways at 100kmph. Most of us are travelling through various speed zones with traffic lights, other cars, cyclist, pedestrians. So on a 20km commute at an average speed of 40kmph (allowing for stops for lights etc) it takes 30 min. So basically driving safely.

HOWEVER, The same 20km at 48kph again, allowing for stops for lights etc (I'm assuming hubby does use his brake sometimes?) gets hubby to his destination 5 measly minutes sooner. BUT the reality is to have an average speed of 48kph (allowing for just 3 minutes to be spent stationary at lights) would mean for the rest of the journey hubby would have to exceed the speed limit for almost all of the duration of the journey. So in all likelyhood he will only get to his destination 2-3 minutes sooner.

Now since i'm enjoying my rant - Sure the speed at traffic lights is the same as the rest of the road in the general area. But the area around traffic lights has a few more hazards - intersections, people changing lanes so they can turn right or left at the lights, pedestrians etc all reasons to be well and truly below the speed limit when crossing that intersection... But not your hubby...

So it seems to me the argument here is he can drive too fast, but the post man should be in trouble because he delivers the mail too slow... (Good luck using that as your defence)

Buy hubby a bike for christmas - he's gonna need it - At least you'll be safe in the knowledge that unless hubby is mates with the guys that helped Lance Armstrong he will have no chance of getting close to 60kmph while riding his bike to work.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Buy hubby a bike for christmas - he's gonna need it
...and wait for the $319 fines to start rolling in for not wearing a helmet or not having it buckled.

You think $120 and $280 is harsh for speeding? Have a thought for cyclists and the idiotic fines that they face.

sammy01

27 September 2015
wow - $344 for not wearing a helmet while on a bike in NSW. I drive my care half way to work then jump on my bike... Twice this year i've forgotten my helmet.... Happily, the police that drove past either didn't notice or chose to ignore my oopsy.... Maybe they too see $344 as harsh and they're more interested in catching people speeding because speeding endagers everyone on the road, me not wearing a helmet only endagers my life...

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
wow - $344 for not wearing a helmet while on a bike in NSW. I drive my care half way to work then jump on my bike... Twice this year i've forgotten my helmet.... Happily, the police that drove past either didn't notice or chose to ignore my oopsy.... Maybe they too see $344 as harsh and they're more interested in catching people speeding because speeding endagers everyone on the road, me not wearing a helmet only endagers my life...

I rode everywhere as a teenager in the 80s and helmets were unheard of. I'm still alive.