NSW First time speeding excessively with huge fine

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lucaslly97

8 June 2018
So my friend has gone to a cruise and did 162 in 80 zone.
He has licence plates removed and licence suspended.
He was on a student visa with an international licence.
He caught up a fine of 2384$ and a 6 months suspension.
There were others speeding too but not quite fast enough to have these cops switch focus to them.
He did stop immediately for the cops.
He had a few previous minor speeding 0-20 and or other traffic violations.
He don’t drive to study but routinely drive to get food, meaning he could probably still live without a licence.

My point is, should he go to court to sort it out and reduce the penalty or not. He was not summoned to court, cop advised him to ask rms to get on a payment plan.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Well, what you have to think about is what would the motivation of the court be to reduce the penalty? I dont see it?

Payment plan option seems to be the best option.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
I agree with Clancy, there is no legal or other reason to dispute the fine. The speed your friend was on was very dangerous, if an accident happened, it would have had fatal results.

The only thing that can help your friend is to go on a payment plan and most importantly is to learn from this lesson so not to hurt others if he speeds. I will say the truth, I love speeding but don't dare to do it. Not recommended!

Clancy

6 April 2016
I agree with Clancy, there is no legal or other reason to dispute the fine. The speed your friend was on was very dangerous, if an accident happened, it would have had fatal results.

The only thing that can help your friend is to go on a payment plan and most importantly is to learn from this lesson so not to hurt others if he speeds. I will say the truth, I love speeding but don't dare to do it. Not recommended!

I remember 25 odd years ago up on the Central coast there were a few tiny winding country roads through the mountains with 100kph limit on it! I had an old Torana, try as i might, i could not do the speed limit, not without a death wish that is!! The lesson is that you cannot blindly obey the speed limit, you have to drive according to the conditions.... but these days, they pretty much dummed everything down, new speed limits are always exasperatedly slow, so you dont think about the conditions anymore you just obey the speed limit.