NSW Speeding Fines NSW - Can Police Refuse to Show Radar Reading?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

justroby

15 February 2015
I was just pulled over for allegedly speeding (with a hand held speed camera) on a main road in NSW Sydney. I asked if i could see the reading on the speed camera that detected me speeding,and was told that he couldn't show me because I denied I was speeding... I asked his prob about 20 times if he could show me the reading.

My question is: For speeding fines NSW, can a police officer refuse to show me the radar reading?

Thanks. And i have it all on my camera phone.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Justroboy,

I am not aware of any law that requires the police to show you a radar reading at the driver's request.

The reading's speed will be issued on your speeding ticket that will arrive in the mail. If you decide to challenge it, you can see if the radar was hand-held or if it was an in-car camera (or supported by an in-car camera). If so, the police may have recorded photographs/videos or statistical data that supports their allegation you were speeding.

Try and contact the police station (when you receive the ticket) and ask for a copy (you may need to purchase it) of the reading. If it is caught on tape, you may be able to attend the station and watch the video under supervision. In this case, you may need a lawyer to accompany you otherwise you may not know what you are looking for.

Hence, you'll need to ask yourself whether it is worth fighting this ticket.

S

Sophea

Hi Justroby,

Police are generally not required to show you exactly what their radar has recorded, but often do so to provide basis for why you have been stopped. In NSW if you are caught speeding you should be able to visit a police station to view footage of the incident.