NT Speeding Fine in the Mail - Dispute?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Chloe89

27 April 2015
I received a speeding fine in the mail today (27/04/15) that states the date of issue was 30/03/15 and the infringement occurred on 21/03/15.

I was wondering what the regulations were around the delivery of speeding fine from speed camera vans. I have two main issues:

1) As I received the speeding fine the day it was due, I will now be charged an overdue fee. (I did not get the letter until I checked the mailbox after work today, so had no opportunity to contact Fine Recovery in business hours).

2) As the infringement apparently occurred over a month ago, I cannot remember the event or whether I was even driving the car at the time. Is there a certain time limit that they have to give you speeding fines in? I think it is extremely unfair that I cannot dispute the incident as it happened so long ago!

praxidice

30 May 2014
The flash for cash industry is such a massive revenue earner for governments that considerable effort has been expended on ensuring its subject to as few challenges as human ingenuity can devise. I wish you the best of british luck with your proposed complaint about overdue penalties, personally I think you have two chances (none and buckleys)

Without intending to be a holier than thou / goodie two shoes, I have always had a serious aversion to paying voluntary taxes, consequently I drive at least ten kmh under any posted limit. No doubt the peanut gallery will immediately start clamouring about me causing whatever many accidents by not sticking to the speed limit (note particularly that speed limits are UPPER limits only, there is absolutely no provision whatever in any state or territory to drive AT any particular speed). That said, I'm the very first inhabitant of planet earth to identify flash for cash technology as being primarily about revenue collection even though for the most part the revenue is voluntary.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Have a look at the back of the ticket.
You may find instructions there about how deal with it - your choices are usually, "pay it, and it's over", or take it court and have it dealt with there.
There may also be an option to nominate somebody else as the driver, in which case, a revised Infringement Notice will be sent to them instead.

As to time limits, all the details should be on the notice.