NT Single Parent Pension - Have I Committed Centrelink Fraud?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

bob22031980

18 April 2017
I have been on and off with my somewhat partner for the last 4.5 years since our son was born...We also have a daughter who is 2...

I have been receiving the single parent pension for 4.5 years as our relationship was constantly on and off all the time, with domestic violence and him kicking me out of the house with the kids wherever he saw fit...

I have just been informed that regardless of the circumstances, I should have notified Centrelink that I was partnered? I have also been told that I have committed fraud, is this true?

If true, what do I do to change it?

Arche

20 March 2015
Informed by who? By Centrelink? It sounds as though you possibly should have told Centrelink if you were living with your partner and it also sounds that the only way to sort it out if they have approached you is with Centrelink. I can't say whether it is fraud or not but depending on the specific circumstances, you may find yourself being asked to pay money back.

If you are really concerned about the possibility of prosecution you might want to speak to a solicitor before you speak to Centrelink.

bob22031980

18 April 2017
My ex has said he has dobbed me into Centrelink. I asked a few people what they thought of the situation and they said that I possibly should have told Centrelink...I have now told Centrelink I am partnered and had my payments changed...

If I had told Centrelink every time I had been kicked out of house or the relationship was over I would have been ringing every 5 minutes...

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
You have a positive obligation to inform Centrelink within 14 days when your circumstances change and, if you fail to do so, it is technically a fraud against the Commonwealth. I'd suggest being proactive about the issue, getting in touch with Centrelink and explaining the issue. Odds are you'll have to repay the overpayment anyway, but at least you'll have some control of the process and be more likely to avoid any penalties.

Reactions: shallice

bob22031980

18 April 2017
Thanks Rob for your reply....

Im more than happy to pay back what was overpaid, I just figured as it was an on again off again relationship I wasnt required to notify them as I was supporting myself and children just on my benefits....

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Centrelink will make that determination. If you weren't co-habiting as partners, tell them so. They will probably assume you were, particularly if you've been 'dobbed in'. They may be more likely to accept your side of things if you approach them to clear it up.

qarmatian

18 June 2017
Contact Legal Aid. You'd be eligible for their services as you're on Centrelink, and they have lots of experience with Centrelink problems and I'm sure they've dealt with situations like yours before because it's so common.