QLD Signature fraud

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bilby

19 May 2020
Can someone forge a signature on a legal document even if they have permission to do so

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
No, but I strongly suspect there is more to this situation than you’re stating. It’s a simple answer, so that makes me question why you’re actually asking it.

Bilby

19 May 2020
No, but I strongly suspect there is more to this situation than you’re stating. It’s a simple answer, so that makes me question why you’re actually asking it.
I received 2 documents from respondent, being procedure request forms, involving ongoing civil dispute. Failed to provide copies when submitted. Received documents 3 months after respondent submitted, after lodging complaint, and email requests to respondent. While documents apparently submitted at same time, not only differ in colours vary so much in many ways, I am convinced they were not signed by same person. This was my immediate concern/reaction, when I received these documents

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Then I'd consider the following questions following a review of those documents:
1. Does the Respondent claim that they're their signatures? If so, unlikely that anything will come out of it.
2. Do the signer state that they're the Respondent in both cases?
3. Is it possible the form can be signed on behalf of the Respondent? If so, probably no issue.
4. As an alternative, if the form requires some form of declaration from the Respondent then having it signed by someone else is likely not okay.