VIC Should I Nominate Wife on Learner Drivers Licence?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Craig-M80

9 April 2017
Hi,

My wife has a learner drivers licence and I got a notice on my name for excessive speed. She wanted to practice on the freeway and she was doing 100km/hr. Suddenly I saw the overhead speed of 60 and asked her to slow down but by the time she hit brake, we passed the camera and got snapped at 96km/hr.

Unfortunately we didn't had L sign on the car.

Now I'm thinking if I should cop the fine or nominate her. What would be the scenario or severity of penalties if I nominate her (learner driver)?

Thanks,

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
Hi,
My wife has a Learner license and I got a notice on my name for excessive speed.
She wanted to practice on freeway and she was doing 100km/hr. Suddenly I saw the overhead speed of 60 and asked her to slow down but by the time she hit brake, we passed the camera and got snapped at 96km/hr.
Unfortunately we didn't had L sign on the car.

Now I'm thinking if I should cop the fine or nominate her. What would be the scenario or severity of penalties if I nominate her (Learner driver)?

Thanks,
Craig

Craig

If you do nothing, then you will lose your license for one month. If you nominate then your wife loses her license. I don't believe she will be penalised extra.

Regards

Craig-M80

9 April 2017
Craig
If you do nothing, then you will lose your license for one month. If you nominate then your wife loses her license. I don't believe she will be penalised extra.
Regards

Thank you for the reply @Tony Danos ,

I apologise for this stupid question - Since VIC has more strict rules, so wouldn't they question why there's no L sign on vehicle? And also since she is L, that means its similar to driving without licence?

Tony Danos

Lawyer
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
Thank you for the reply Tony,

I apologize for this stupid question - Since VIC has more strict rules, so wouldn't they question why there's no L sign on vehicle? And also since she is L, that means its similar to driving without license?
Highly unlikely it will be referred on to the police. This would be low priority.

Craig-M80

9 April 2017
When I login to fines.vic.gov.au/login, I see two images of vehicle from the back. Is it possible that they might have more images from the front identifying the driver? Also, is it possible for Learner to lose licence, I thought it's just a permit not a licence.

Tony Danos

Lawyer
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
When I login to fines.vic.gov.au/login, I see two images of vehicle from the back. Is it possible that they might have more images from the front identifying the driver? Also, is it possible for Learner to lose licence, I thought it's just a permit not a licence.
I am unsure as to quantity of images. Learner drivers can be suspended from driving (whether they have a license or not).

Craig-M80

9 April 2017
Thank you Tony, I just spotted on thing in the images given to me. There are 4 lanes, Lane 1 and 2 have sign of 60, Lane 3 has arrow sign to go to left, Lane 4 has closed sign.

I was snapped on Lane 3 which had an arrow sign to go to lane 2 with 60. Photos show I had brakes applied to prepare to go to left lane.

What is the law regarding the lane where there is close sign or arrow sign? Are the speeds on the lanes 1 and 2 apply to those?

Thank you again for taking time.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
The most important thing is - don't lie about who was driving.
Make sure all the infringements are issued in the correct names.