NT Should I Have Public Liability Insurance for Guided Walking Tour?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

LJW

29 October 2015
As the operator of a guided walking tour that I charge money for, must I have public liability insurance? If someone is injured during my tour, walking around public areas of town, would I be liable? If I don't have insurance, what would happen?

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
Yes you would need to have public liability insurance. Public liability is basically known as "slip n trip" claims.
You would basically be liable for damages if someone hurts themselves and this can run into millions of dollars.

LJW

29 October 2015
Thanks. And if we are just walking around public places, would the town council not be liable?

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
You would both be potentially liable. Contact your accountant as it could be tax deductible. Wouldn't it be better paying some extra money each year knowing you would be protected?

LJW

29 October 2015
Yes I have been paying for it. It's just hard to make any money doing walking tours so I am trying to minimize my costs. But if it's important that I have it then I will continue to do so. Thanks so much.

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
Contact your accountant - it could be tax deductable as it is an expense that is needed for your business to run.