WA Shared Ownership of Car - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Apiw101115

16 July 2014
Hi. My question is..last 2011, my husband and his friend decided to buy a second-hand car. They equally share the exact amount of the car.

A month after buying that my husband decided to buy his own car and they both decide that his friend will take over the car they bought and it is also registered by his friend's name. Until now, his using it as his own, but sadly my husband ask him if he could get his share now because we badly need the money, but his friend insist that if my husband will be the one to sell it, my husband can get his share, but my husband doesn't have time to sell it because his working now as fifo and his in karattha, and they are somewhere in Perth but they insist that he can't get his share if his not the one who sell it. What can we do?

Please help

Owens Lawyers

13 June 2014
Either sell the car or sue the other party for his share. I imagine if time is an issue it would be much easier just to sell the car than start a court case.