VIC i have paid more than half of the money for a car can the owner take the car back from me ??

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jas brar

16 May 2017
hi i bought a car 2 months ago for 3000 $ from a friend of a friend of mine as i didnt had money to pay 3000 my friend said give him how much you can and rest you can give in installments so i gave them 1250 in few days and for rest of the money my parents sent me 1400 but i lost that in gambling i told boy that i cant give you money but as its my mistake i can return you car which was still on his name and told him he can keep that 1250 aswell but he said no i dont want car give me money so i said i can give you only 500 which i gave him and then i paid for rego which is 800 so now he has got 1750 and the rego money now he is saying give me my car back or give me rest money which he is saying is 2200 left as but money left is only 1200 so he is being oversmart he is threatening me i will take legal action or i will tell polic my car is stolen and they will bring it back to me but m telling him i dont want to buy your car because i dont want to [pay 4000 on that car because its not worth it i m telling him to return my money but he is saying no return my car and i will not give you any money what should i do ?? i should return his car without getting money or can i keep the car legelly as i have proof of money which i have sent him online 1750 please let me know thank you

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Jas,
Technically you entered into an agreement (verbal contract) and you didn't honour it. You cant change your mind and say I'm not paying the rest now. The rego money doesn't count as a part payment because that's a running cost and you had possession. I would try to enter into a new payment plan with him or return the vehicle and cut your losses.