Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

SA Ex-friend Won't Pay for Parts Used on His Car

Discussion in 'Other/General Law Forum' started by karmar, 13 June 2015.

  1. karmar

    karmar Member

    13 June 2015
    Likes Received:
    I have an ex-friends car in my drive and has been here for 2 years +. I have been working on it for free and he was to pay for parts, and now he wont pay, hence the ex-friend.
    I'm not a workshop.
    I have been removing parts and engine as I am wrecking the car so I can I sell to recoup my money owing ($1900).
    He wont answer my call and emails etc and now claims its in his dads name, its been unregistered for nearly 2 years now.
    Recently I went to him to try to discuss and all he said was you'll be notified to my questions through the closed door until he yelled get of his property.
    Can I sell the car and parts before his notification of some sort arrives.
    Or any suggestions.

  2. Tracy B

    Tracy B Well-Known Member

    24 December 2014
    Likes Received:
    Hi Karmar,

    Take a read of the following similar questions:
    Basically, you need to send a formal letter to your ex-friend and/or his father, stating:
    • The full amount he owes you (perhaps with a breakdown of costs)
    • 28 days for him to make payment
    • You are holding his car until you receive payment
    • If he does not make payment, you will sell parts from his car to recoup part of the costs and will not hesitate to take legal action for debt without further notice
    First, the car may be abandoned by your ex-friend as it has been in your yard for 2+ years, confirm if this is the case. Second, if you wish to recover your money, you need to initiate an action for debt against the owner of the car in the Administrative Authority's minor civil claims section.
    karmar likes this.

Share This Page