WA Sexual Assault - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now


Well-Known Member
10 February 2015
Hi Feefee,

I am so sorry to hear that this has happened to you.

Have you told anyone you trust about this? Eg friends or family? You are not to blame for what happened to you. Not even partially. So don't be ashamed to tell people you trust and ask for their support.

Was the incident within the last 72 hours? If so, you should go to the hospital (or if you have a trusted GP, go to them) immediately. Take any clothes you were wearing at the time. If you haven't showered yet, then don't shower before going to the hospital. It is normal to want to shower and clean but if you can hold off, there will be a better chance of recovering evidence. Take a friend or loved one with you for support.

At the hospital, you will probably be asked if you want to make a statement to the police. You can ask to speak with an officer who specialises in this area and/or a female if that makes you feel more comfortable.

After the hospital, you are going to need emotional support. Friends and family, but also a good counsellor. What services are available depend on where you are in WA. Sexual Assault hotlines can put you in touch with the local services in your area. For example, you can call 1800 RESPECT: Home | 1800RESPECT You can google sexual assault hotlines to see a list of them that you can call.

If you want, you can call a hotline before you do anything else. You will get a caring person on the line who can help talk you through the next steps.

If the assault was a longer time ago, then you may also want to start by calling a hotline and then going to the police station directly.

I know this is a really difficult time for you. I hope this information can get you started with the help you need. Let me know if you have any more questions.