VIC Separated Wife Getting Traffic Infringements under My Name

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

corey

21 September 2014
My wife with whom I have been separated for over a year is currently in possession and driving a car which is registered under my name. She has made it difficult for me to get a divorce. She is currently living in Queensland while I am in Victoria and has been driving through toll freeways and getting traffic infringement notices under my name. She is refusing to pay any of these. Could you please advise me on my options as I have been receiving these notices each week and I am completely stressed.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Do a property division asap.

I can't advise about what to do with the car in the meantime other than keep nominating the driver and keep a log of your whereabouts. :(

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Do you expect to ever get the car back?
If not, maybe just give it to her - send in a Notice of Disposal to the Motor Registry of the state in which the vehicle is registered, and make her car, her problem.

Reactions: Rod

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I believe you can also nominate another driver for most traffic infringements that are issued by camera (as opposed to one that is issued in person). Contact your local police station for directions on how to do this.

Reactions: Tim W