VIC Nominated driver for infringement notice

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Chillian Xie

15 June 2018
Hi there.

I was driving my wife's car and the last 4 to 5 months i have received 2 infringement notice for speeding. Ok i admit i have committed the offence. One thing we did was we paid the fines but then later found out u can nominate a driver under who was driving that vehicle that time. So my nominated me but fine was already paid for that infringement notice. I received the same infringement notice same offence but under my name this time and asking me to pay same amount. So i called fines victoria and explained our situation to them and then i was told that fines victoria will refund a check to my residential address and i still need to pay the fine thats under my name. Ok. Im good with that as long as i get refund for the previous money my paid when she nominated me. Now vic roads send a letter saying the demerit points has been credited to my wifes name. So i am confused now. Will i get the refunds back? And will they change those demerit points back to my name and take it off from my wife name. Please help. Thanks

Cobra1972

3 June 2018
I personally think it will be a case of being a much quicker process of updating the Demerit points than refunding the money.

Demerits will be something they can do immediately on a computer.

A cheque needs to physically drawn up and posted.

However, only Civic Compliance can really answer that question. I would call them up and confirm.

I certainly wouldn't worry about it, keep notes of your contact and I am sure it will get sorted out.

Chillian Xie

15 June 2018
Thanks for the reply mate. It kind of worries me because my wife already had some points under name so i dont want her license to get suspended. Anyways i will call them up again