QLD Seller Refusing to Repair Structural Damage on Caravan?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

theresaok

1 June 2016
Good evening,

We are having problems with Brisbane RV and Universal caravans in regards to repair of our caravan, which was purchased brand new in March 2015. Last year after a 3 month trip to WA from QLD, we found that there were structural cracks underneath the bedroom windows on both sides of the caravan.

Both Brisbane RV and Universal have stated that there was nothing wrong with the frame or the chassis and the only way to repair it as to replace the cladding under our insurance. However there was a letter written by G&S Chassis stating that there should have been shock absorbers and the rigid leaf spring packs may have contributed to the problem - but this was not addressed when the caravan was repaired.

It was returned to us and we were told that we shouldn't go off road (even though it is an off road caravan) and stay on bitumen. We again did a trip up the QLD coast not going off road and the structural cracks appeared again! Now Brisbane RV who we purchased the caravan off are not prepared to fix the caravan as they are now saying that Universal Caravans are the ones that should be held liable for repairs.

I would be grateful for some help as to where to go from here under Australian Consumer Law as this has been a nightmare for us and we seem to be getting the run around from everyone and all we want is our caravan repaired and in excellent working order so we can use it without worrying if more structural damage will happen.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If you bought the caravan from Brisbane RV and it is still covered under warranty, they should fix it. Let them deal with the manufacturer.

S

Sophea

Do I understand correctly that...you purchased the RV from Brisbane RV and Universal fixed it? Where do G&S Chassis come into the picture?

Under Australian Consumer Law caravans, like motor vehicles must be fit for purpose which would include going off road if that's what the manufacturer or retailer represented that it should do as well as all the purposes for which vehicles of that kind are commonly supplied. They must also be acceptable in appearance and finish, free from defects, safe and durable. Considering it was brand new and built and marketed for going off road - the manufacturers and retailers must stand behind their product.

I would first contact the Department of Fair Trading and see what they can do for you. And before that I would send a letter of demand to the company you purchased the caravan from demanding that they repair or replace your caravan on account of its structural faults. Include with that letter any evidence from other repairers etc that indicate it was lacking certain parts that resulted in it cracking. See how you go.