VIC Self-representing litigant support

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

qvarcho

23 July 2023
I am a self-representing litigant and need some assistance with case-related documentation, processes, templates, and overall case strategy from time to time. Any suggestions on any paralegals/individuals/websites etc . that can assist with that?

CSFLW

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
24 September 2018
Proceedings on foot, cannot afford a lawyer any more.. after drowning 30k in fees..
The best source of information and precedent forms are on the court website:

miguel

30 May 2018
I am a self-representing litigant and need some assistance with case-related documentation, processes, templates, and overall case strategy from time to time. Any suggestions on any paralegals/individuals/websites etc . that can assist with that?
Hello. I self represented but got lucky. The ex hired a barrister who is a nice bloke. He saw through the exes bulls**t and we came to a good agreement. I went from alienation, FVOs to consent orders with instant access in 6 weeks. How?

Take the heat out of it. Forget the case law, precedents etc... that just adds years. Don't go for gotchas. Don't make the judge decide things, that costs 10s of thousands. Just go for reasonable access, take the s**t on the chin. This will open up avenues such as the great registry staff, their help is invaluable.

So do an affidavit, keep it simple, focus on time with the kids, launch proceedings and good luck. Keep the heat out of it.

Mia.M

6 September 2023
Looking for McKenzie's Friend
I am looking for assistance in finding a McKenzie's Friend who can support me in appealing the parenting orders. The father's non-negotiable attitude is causing difficulties that are not in the best interest of the child. An example of this is the father's opposition to the child taking swimming lessons.
Currently, the final orders in effect place all responsibilities on me as the mother, while granting decision-making authority to the father. I am seeking guidance from a McKenzie's Friend who can help me navigate the process of appealing these orders.
I am aware that there may be fees associated with engaging the services of a McKenzie's Friend, and I am willing to discuss and agree upon the cost and terms of their assistance.
The following background background information may assist in your consideration. I also have trail hearing transcript with me. Please send me a message if you or you know someone who can help me.
[Reason for Judgement 75] The mother has been the child's primary care parent during the course of the parties' relationship and post their separation. the mother was a competent and dedicated parent.
[79] The mother has been supportive of the child's meaningful relationship with the father and other members of the paternal family. She has made great efforts to encourage and facilitate the child's attendance at paternal family's events.
[85] The mother would say positive things about the father and the paternal family to the child and that, at changeovers, she would always say "give cuddle, say bye, daddy loves you"
[86] The mother took the child to the majority of his medical, dental and growth check-up appointments. The mother remained with the child when he was at or in hospital (noting he had been hospitalised on 3 occasions) . [113] The child has also been with the mother on all his sick days in the past.
[87] The mother took the child on various outdoor activities, including hiking and camping.
[113] The Court accepts that the mother, actively, attends all of the child's school events, when she can. The father attended on one occasion while the mother was overseas for 2 months.
[113] The child would see the mother as his primary "safety hub", as asserted by her, when he was sick or hurt. The mother has taken on most of the child's care in relation to these matters. The father has been content for that to occur recognising that the mother wanted to be so involved. The father said that he agreed to this position so as to avoid conflict. He is to be given credit, in that regard.