VIC Address for Service if self-represented and in hiding

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Curiouskitty

15 September 2018
How does the Federal Circuit Court deal with self-represented family law litigants that are in hiding from their partners?

Getting legal aid is impossible, and finding anyone that doesn't know my ex is proving shockingly impossible. I'm homeless and at my wits end, as a result of their conduct, and if I'm forced to self represent I'm terrified that they will find me through the address for service notification I'd need to lodge on the portal.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Atticus

6 February 2019
Not overly familiar with options available on the portal, BUT, you should certainly be able to have any address removed from applications if there is a danger of family violence ... Perhaps contact a free women's legal advice service in your state for advice

Curiouskitty

15 September 2018

Curiouskitty

15 September 2018
Firstly, is there an Intervention Order in place?

Yes there is. Mine was agreed to without admissions by my ex back in August and is final.

I am contesting the application of my ex which is still at the interim stage - vehemently contesting it as it has been done as a tactic to stop me from cross examining in the family law proceedings. I don't say this to exaggerate. I say it with hard evidence behind me of this intention.

Atticus

6 February 2019
it as it has been done as a tactic to stop me from cross examining in the family law proceedings.
If that is the intention, then he may find it backfires.... New provisions came into affect on 10th September this year to disallow personal cross examination of victims of FV, BUT, if you don't have a legal rep, the new scheme MUST provide a legal aid rep for you to ask questions on your behalf...

If the interim IVO is made final, you will have to make sure you apply in plenty of time to the Commonwealth Family Violence and Cross-Examination of Parties Scheme to obtain legal representation..... More info at this link >>>> Family Violence and Cross-examination of Parties Scheme - Family Court of Australia

Curiouskitty

15 September 2018
If that is the intention, then he may find it backfires.... New provisions came into affect on 10th September this year to disallow personal cross examination of victims of FV, BUT, if you don't have a legal rep, the new scheme MUST provide a legal aid rep for you to ask questions on your behalf...

If the interim IVO is made final, you will have to make sure you apply in plenty of time to the Commonwealth Family Violence and Cross-Examination of Parties Scheme to obtain legal representation..... More info at this link >>>> Family Violence and Cross-examination of Parties Scheme - Family Court of Australia

Yes, thank you Atticus, I'm very aware of this new protocol. It aligns with how FVIO's are handled in the Magistrates Court. This doesn't help me with my original question, of how do I keep my address a secret if I am a self-represented litigant.

It will backfire, as I have the evidence of a conspiracy and collusion between officers of the court who should know better, but that doesn't help me with my actual question.

I'll call the court tomorrow to discuss and if I get an answer I'll post it here.