QLD Seeking Legal Advice: Issues with Recently Purchased Second-Hand CarBody

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Joli

8 April 2024
I recently purchased a car from a second-hand shop for my nephew, and we've encountered several issues that have left us feeling uncertain about our rights and options.After just two weeks of driving the car, it began making concerning noises, similar to those associated with exhaust problems. We promptly returned to the dealership where we bought it, seeking resolution. However, after a week of investigation, they claimed the issue was related to the exhaust system and directed us to take the car to an exhaust shop.
As if that wasn't concerning enough, while driving the car, it began stalling at traffic lights. This poses a significant safety risk, and it's unacceptable for a vehicle purchased just weeks ago to exhibit such issues.
Adding insult to injury, the dealership has accused my nephew of being involved in an accident, insinuating that this might be the cause of the car's problems. This accusation is baseless and deeply troubling, as my nephew has not been in any accidents with the vehicle since purchasing it.
To further complicate matters, we took the car to an exhaust shop, where we were informed that the car is not roadworthy and that the problem has likely existed for a long time. This revelation only adds to our frustration and concerns about the condition of the vehicle.
At this point, we're unsure of our rights and the best course of action to take. We're seeking legal advice to understand our options and determine how to proceed in resolving these issues with the dealership. Any guidance or insights would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You may find this page helpful