VIC Second Hand Car Purchased With Faults From Dealership

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

anthealam

13 October 2020
Details of the car: 2011 Subaru Sti, 80 XXX Km's, unregistered, no rwc provided
When I first inspected the car, I had a friend and a mechanic come with me. From what the mechanic could tell, the car was clean and healthy.
I was unable to test drive the car because the lady at the dealership said if I test drove it and didn't purchase the car, she will have to charge me a few hundred dollars as part of their sanitisation procedure etc., and since at the time I was unsure, I chose to not test-drive the car.
That night however after thinking about the car, I ended up placing a deposit.
The car was towed to me considering the restrictions that were in place at the time (no travel further than 5km).
I didn't drive the car for a long time since there was no where to go during lockdown, but when I did get the chance, I noticed a few boost issues.
I took it to the mechanic, where he mentioned that the engine seemed to have been tampered with before.
I contacted the dealership asking "I noticed that a statutory warranty was not provided for me when I purchased the car. Could you please provide this for me as soon as possible so that I have the appropiate documentation to accompany the sale?"
To which she replied "The car was sold unregistered so there is no stat warranty"

Question now is - what happens/what do I do from here?
I'm sure that there is a way for me to get my money back/car fixed at the dealership's expense?
Wanting to know my rights before seeking further legal advice from a lawyer/escalating the matter.
Thank you!