NSW Victim compensation for the being stalked at the age of 16 by a man 20 years older.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Anng94

28 May 2018
I am 24 now.
I was 16 to 18. I had a stalker who was 41 at the time. Long story short, it ended up getting so bad I took it to the police, where an AVO was put out and the case then went to court.
He was harassing me online, sending me sexual photos of himself, requesting them, calling my family and friends, showing up to my work and university and told me he was at my house while I wasn't at home etc. etc.
I quit all of my jobs and dropped out of university.
I never attended counselling as my parents continuously blamed me for the whole ideal. I moved out and started a new job/life. I started feeling the effect of the whole situation only recently, and took part in a few counselling sessions last year, but they never felt right.
He was charged in court, and released without any time, he had to pay a $700.00 amount (assuming this is court fees) and sign into local police station daily for a year.
Local police station being around the corner from my house.
I was wondering if i can ever claim compensation, I feel like i changed a lot of my life around after it happened and I missed out on doing the career I hoped, while also losing my social life and confidence in myself. In the last 1.5-2 years, I have developed a strange paranoia and fear of being alone when my partner leaves. I intend to take up counselling again, once I find someone I feel comfortable with. I never knew about victim compensation until recently, though I was unsure if i would qualify.