ACT Second marriage in Australia

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MattSt

28 July 2017
My wife and I married several years ago in Gibraltar (UK) and wish to get married again in Australia so that her family can be involved.
I've been told that we can do this as the original marriage is only recognised in Australia if we present the marriage certificate and that this certificate is the only proof of the marriage. However, we've also been told that we cannot marry again in Australia as we're already married.

I have read a ton of articles about couples who travel the world getting married in as many countries as they can and it would seem that this is fine but only the marriage performed and registered in each specific country is valid in that country. I also don't believe everything I read - especially magazine articles!

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have contacted BM&D but got a different answer from NSW and VIC.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
So, basically, you can have a ceremony and a wedding again, but you won't be able to get legally "married" again, because you're already married. Everything at the ceremony will just be for show.

Australia legally recognises marriages undertaken in the UK, whether you tell the Office of Births, Deaths and Marriages or not. Any marriage here for legal purposes would be declared voice because you're already married for legal purposes elsewhere, and the law prohibits marriages between people who are already married.

Make sense?

Lennon

11 September 2014
Agree with AllForHer. When you register to marry in Australia you have to declare that neither of you are married. You would not be able to make that declaration, because you are already married.

So you can have a ceremony but no legalities.