Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

WA Is Marriage Certificate Recognised in All States?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Paulgirl, 11 August 2016.

1. Paulgirl

Paulgirl Member

Hi, I am an Australian permanent resident & am wanting to be sure if my marriage certificate from my birth country is recognised & registered in the Australian family law registrar of marriages. If so, does it stand in other states of Australia too, besides WA?

2. AllForHer

AllForHer Well-Known Member

Yes, a marriage certificate which is deemed valid in Australia is deemed valid in all Australian states and territories.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Paulgirl

Paulgirl Member

Hi, I must know if I am a P.R. here in Australia, is my marriage certificate from my birth country valid & recognized here?

How do I know if it's registered with the Australian marriage registrar?

I have heard of secret families, where the other spouse is oblivious ; so can the act of polygamy be detected , informed & notified to the innocent spouse if done discreetly by the guilty party ? And will the government under family law take action?

4. running

running Well-Known Member

I would ring your embassy and ask these questions. If they can't answer them, they will be able to tell you who can.