What will Meeting with ICL Entail?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bigler129

30 September 2016
HI All,

I have just received my order for a conference between an independents child lawyer (ICL), my children, my ex and her lawyer. Just wondering what this first meeting entails?

I've already been through the family court reporter, had my medicals subpoenaed, etc. The mother is falsely claiming abuse and alcohol abuse. I have a psych report who I've been seeing for over 2 years for my PTSD (ex soldier), who said I was in way a concern around my kids.

The report writer dismissed his report and sided wholey on the mum's side without any evidence.

Where do I stand now with the Independent child lawyer ?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

The ICL has been appoint to represent the interests of the children. Generally speaking an ICL is appointed because of one or more things: Allegations of violence, abuse, neglect, because of high levels of conflict between parties or because one or more of the parties have mental health issues. So obviously the allegation is what has brought the requirement for the ICL about.

The ICL will basically gather all information to best represent the interest of the child such as interviewing witnesses including parents. If they are arranging a meeting already between all parties it sounds like they may have already done that and they wish to facilitate discussion to sort out parenting arrangements.

Just for the record I'm also a PTSD diagnosed veteran and I know that its very easy to have the condition used against you. It would be a good idea to contact a lawyer to represent your interests especially because all other parties will have their own lawyers present.

If you don't have a lawyer you might want to speak with one. If you need a lawyer you can contact legal aid in your state or you can use the following link to find one in your area https://lawtap.com/au/

Some more information on ICL's can be found here: Independent Children's Lawyer - Family Court of Australia

Please let me know if there is any other information I might be able to help you with.

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
Remember. The ICL is NOT your friend

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Let me repeat the above - the ICL is not your friend.

Some do very shoddy work, some do excellent work. Based on your post you may have the former in which case a lawyer can be invaluable if you value time with your kids.