Rules for reviews and ratings on "meeting place" website

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

lspoe2

30 September 2021
Hi,

I have been trying to find out more about this but cannot seem to find a concrete answer anywhere online.
I'd like to know whether the following scenarios are legal and if there are any risks I should be aware of of.

The website is a meeting place and provides the opportunity for one group of members (lets call them Seekers) to review the other group of members (lets call them Service Providers). In most, if not all cases, a "Service Provider" will be an individual and NOT a business.

Scenario 1:
A seeker leaves a review and rating for a service provider. The service provide can choose to accept or decline this review & rating. It's completely up to the service provider to manage the reviews and ratings they receive. The website only gets involved should a seeker or service provider lodge a complain/make contact with the website providing the meeting place.

Scenario 2:

A seeker leaves a review and rating for a service provider. The service provide can choose to accept or decline this review & rating and has up to 14 days to do so. After 14 days, the website has the write to publish any reviews/ratings received, given the are not defamatory in nature. The service provider can request to have a review/rating removed if they disagree with it's contents. That would mean both parties would need to get involved to determine whether a remove of the review/rating is appropriate.

Is either one or in fact both of these scenarios legal at all?

Thanks for your time.