Response to ‘Initiating Application’

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Adamk90

12 June 2019
I was last month served with an initiating application regarding property settlement. As court was 2 day after being served, the judge gave me 28 to file a response, which I plan to do as my ex has not paid a cent towards the property in 18 months and wants 50% of the proceeds. I would also like to see her resume her financial responsibility, and release the pressure on myself. I am in the process of applying for financial aid, but am unsure if I will qualify, or if it will happen in time to respond. I have tried using a ‘DIY Response Kit’ but it doesn’t make any sense. Is there anyway I can extend the 28 days given, and if worse comes to worse, what will happen if I fail to respond in said 28 days?

sammy01

27 September 2015
what sort of $$$ are you talking in the asset pool?

Are there kids involved?
I'm not sure what state you're in. here is a link to legal aid NSW
5.6. Property settlement matters - after separation - Legal Aid NSW

I reckon you should be able to make an educated opinion on whether or not you'll get a grant. If there are not kids involved I reckon your chances are slim

Suggestion - stop paying the mortgage - ask the bank for hardship provisions and use th e$$ you're not spending on the mortgage to pay a solicitor to file the paperwork.