QLD Served Amended Initiating Application in Family Law - Grounds for Adjournment?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Migz

20 November 2016
Hi all,

Just wondering what happens when you are served an Amended Initiating Application (Family Law).

1. Does this mean that I now have another 14 days to Respond to the First & Amended "Initiating Application (Family Law)" if they cross over the original 14 days to Respond?

2. After being served the Amended "Initiating Application (Family Law)" this will mean that the 14 days to respond in will be past the actual court date. So my question is, is this grounds to ask the Judge for an Adjournment?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

I'm happy to be corrected but my understanding of the initiating application is that it will identify the next court date and the response to the initiating application must be submitted within 7 days of the court date. If you have been issued with an amended initial application it should be more than 7 days until the court date and you still have to respond at least 7 days before the court date.

I'm not sure if the 14 days came about because the initiating application was served 14 days before the court date, but the court date on the front of the form should be considered the hard point and you should respond within 7 days of that date.

There is some more information available at this website: Response to initiating application (do it yourself kit) - Family Court of Australia

Complex16

27 July 2016
Has this been filed in the Federal Circuit Court? Agree with the above - go by the court date and if you aren't able to file a response to the amended initiating application in time try and seek an adjournment?