NSW Representing myself in court?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rick O'Shay

Well-Known Member
9 May 2015
I have a daughter who is 9.
I separated from her mother when my daughter was 4.
Since separating, my daughters mother has deliberately avoided a parenting plan or any kind of structure that would inhibit her controlling the situation.
I continued to go along with whatever she told me to do as I was still seeing my daughter often.
Now my daughters mother has remarried and this has all been turned upside down.
My daughter recently decided she wanted a break from me and I am getting no texts,calls,visits...nothing.
Just when I thought it couldn’t get any worse my daughters mother cc’s me into an email advising me that her and her husband have decided to remove my daughter from the school she is going to.
I am done with everything happening without me having any input.
I need to get a parenting plan and get it enforced and I can’t mortgage a house to do this so what are my options?


Well-Known Member
27 September 2015
reply to the email. Ask if they're relocating or where the new school is gonna be.

Mate I don't really like your options. Sure you can self represent, but your first step is to organise mediation. You need that before you can apply to court.


Well-Known Member
21 October 2020
Hi Rick

Make sure you are recording everything (keep a diary of the events, circumstances and facts).

I would reply to the e-mail. Ask for reasons and and if there are intentions to relocate as Sammy as said, and if you need to say that you are not in agreement with moving schools (try be the good guy and not be accusatory to your ex). As there are no parenting orders I then assume you have equal parental responsibility which means you need to make decisions about education (amongst others) together.

I think it may be worth while reading up on alienation too. Have a look at this: Welcome | Parental Alienation is Child Abuse

Courts refer to alienation frequently but more in the context of the a parent not facilitating a meaningful relationship with the other parent. Your daughter is 9 and I am not buying the story that it is "her" that has made the decision to "take a break". Her mother needs to facilitate your daughter having a meaningful relationship with you unless there are significant physical and emotional risk factors present.