Reporting DUI to insurance

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

duiqueries

8 August 2020
Hello,

I was in an accident where my car was written off in a collision with another vehicle. Both the other drive and I were fine afterwards and since it was an accident scene, I was taken to hospital for a blood test to check for alcohol and drugs.

I reported the accident to my insurance company, who paid out my comprehensive car insurance policy within a week. At this point, no blood test information was available.

Two months after the accident and insurance payout, I was found to be over the limit (mid-range). I went to court, pleaded guilty and was slapped with a three-month driving suspension and community service.

I still have the money from the insurance company. I read everywhere that no one is covered by a DUI but why would the insurance company pay out the money before all information was known? I have had no follow-ups from the insurance company and have served my sentence.

Am I required to inform the insurance company of my DUI now even though I no longer have a contract with them? I have not bought a new vehicle or been insured for driving since. But I still have the money in case they come calling for the payout amount.

What should I do from here? Spend the money? Is there a time limit on how long they have to reclaim the funds?

Thank you.

J.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
1. Hanging onto the money is smart.
Most people in your shoes spend it,
and then complain when the insurer
comes after them later.

2. Check the T&Cs of the policy from back at the time.
If it includes a bit where they can refuse a claim if the insured (or the driver - either way, you)
was PCA/DUI etc at the time of the accident, then you'll need to get formal legal advice about that to do.
Why this matters is that you have a duty of complete good faith with respect to an insurer.,
which may involve making the disclosure, even after the event.