QLD Redundancy - Small Business Employer Obligations?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

russel

12 May 2015
Hi. My employer made me redundant recently and had given me two weeks' redundancy notice for formality. I am the only employee of the business and I don't have any employment contract but I am under Clerks - Private Sector Award 2010.

I just want to know my work entitlements and any final pay applicable given the situation since I work for them full-time for more than a year now. I still have remaining annual leave and I am not sure how to compute properly.

Many thanks.

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi Russel,

If you are the only employee of the business then your business may qualify as a small business for the purposes of redundancy and therefore won't have to pay you any redundancy pay. A small business is one that employs less than 15 people at the time you were notified of the redundancy.

A valid redundancy is one where your job won't be performed by anyone in the workplace anymore. Is this your situation?
And because you have been employed for more than one year (but presumedly less than three), two weeks notice of termination is correct.

Your accrued annual leave should still be paid out to you.

Have a look at this blog post for more information: Redundancy: A Quick Guide for Employees - LawAnswers.com.au Blog

russel

12 May 2015
Thanks a lot Ivy, very much appreciated. It was actually due to business slowdown that lead me being redundant. He said he can't afford employ me full-time so he offered me part-time work instead, less than 20 hours. Would you happen to know anyone who can help me check on my final pay before I accept the part-time positions? Or you may personally know? Thanking you in advance.