Redundancy - Should Notice Pay be as per My Contract?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Paliza

7 July 2014
My employment contract was full time (5 days/week). Due to company's financial problems, we were asked to work 4 days/week last year. Now I am being redundant . Should my redundancy notice time be paid as 4days/week, or 5days/week as my contract?

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
Paliza,

Notice period generally depends on length of service but have a look at NES standards which are minima.

But if there is anything in the contract about notice, then generally it is that period that generally applies unless it has been varied expressly due to you now working or having just worked less hours.

Paul.

Reactions: Paliza and John R

Paliza

7 July 2014
Paliza,

Notice period generally depends on length of service but have a look at NES standards which are minima.

But if there is anything in the contract about notice, then generally it is that period that generally applies unless it has been varied expressly due to you now working or having just worked less hours.

Paul.
Thanks Paul .my notice time is 4 weeks . I am just asking if they should pay 5days/week (5*4=20 days) as I was full time, or 4days/week(4*4=16 days) as I was asked to work temporarily 4 days/week .

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
Paliza,

My opinion is that, in general, notice pay should be the equivalent to notice that is required to be given so it is probably, as you accepted the 4 days week change (admittedly, probably not happily) it is probably 4 days per week that should be paid.

Paul

Paliza

7 July 2014
Paliza,

My opinion is that, in general, notice pay should be the equivalent to notice that is required to be given so it is probably, as you accepted the 4 days week change (admittedly, probably not happily) it is probably 4 days per week that should be paid.

Paul
Just wanted to make sure if they have to pay according the contract or not . Thanks Paul .