VIC Reasonable Amount of Time to Wait for Wages Owed?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rob Brincat

19 October 2015
Hi all

I recently discovered my employer was not paying me my wages correctly under the award I am covered under. I have contacted Fair Work Australia and they advised me to approach the employer with my findings.

The employer has agreed that the rates I have been paid are incorrect and will remedy the situation. The amount involved is approx $6400 and goes back over 18months. I have provided my employer with a spreadsheet showing the correct figures against my payslips for the last 18months.

My question is, what is a reasonable amount of time I should wait before expecting payment? One week, two weeks??

I would appreciate and assistance.

Regards

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
Hi Rob,

An employer would more than likely have a duty to you to pay your wages in a reasonable amount of time.

It would be suggested to write a further letter to your employer. If you receive no response in approximately 28 days - it would be advisable to seek legal advice regarding the recovery of your wages and different ways you can go about recovering this money.

See Get Connected with the Right Lawyer for You
to be connected to a local employment lawyer.

Good luck.

Serge Gorval

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
2 November 2015
Sydney
lawtap.com
If you want your wages, I suggest considering a small claim in the FCCA. That usually gets them moving and you will get your wages within the week.