SA Radar speed infringement

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by Huzie, 29 April 2019.

1. Huzie

Huzie Member

I received a speeding infringement while travelling for business through SA. This was in a construction zone. I was speeding so accepted the fine. When trying to pay the fine online it would not accept the notice number. After calling the SA police I was told the fine was withdrawn, a few days later I received a letter to say it was withdrawn because the calibration date and gun number were not recorded on the original hand written fine. A week after this I received another hand written fine for the same offence but this time with the required calibration date/gun info recorded. I am a bit confused, as how do I know this is the same radar gun that picked me up in the first place? Do I have grounds to dispute this fine and would I need to travel back to SA to dispute it?

2. Atticus

Atticus Well-Known Member

Probably going to be difficult and potentially costly if taken to court.... Always ask for gun number and last calibration date at the time you are issued with a ticket.. Years ago after being pulled over and asking for these details the fine suddenly turned into a warning..

3. Huzie

Huzie Member

Thanks for your response Atticus, I thought this might be the case but was hoping I might have a chance at beating it!