NSW Question on judgements

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Julee

14 April 2019
Hi, have just received a call from a lender I have an investment property with. Now the mortgage is pretty much paid off, I think it has around a $4 balance. It has been like this for years, i have just left it as is. Out of the blue they have called me advising me I have to tell them my occupation etc or they are restricting my loan... now obviously restricting my loan means I can't redraw. This is not making sense to me, why would they call out of the blue like this? I have recently had a judgement issued to me for a debt. The debt relates to some work I contracted a tradie to do. I have refused to pay the debt as I had to get another tradie in to pull everything down and redo it all as first tradie did a half arse job. I didn't get the chance to defend myself of the judgement as I nor my family was not served any papers, so I wasn't aware of it. The figure of the judgement is quite large. Could this judgement be the reason?

Docupedia

7 October 2020
No way to tell, but not impossible. The judgment creditor could be seeking information about your indebtedness on the property to see whether it is worth seeking an order to seize and sell the property. You may want to look at challenging that judgment, which you should get legal representation for - it's generally not DIY territory.

It could be the lender trying to re-certify your identity for a 'Know Your Customer' update under the anti-money laundering and counter-terrorism financing requirements - although your occupation isn't a usual question for that.