VIC Qantas Frequent Flyer - Not Honouring Deal

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jon Pope

11 April 2017
Hi

I recently made a purchase on the Qantas Frequent Flyer Store.

As a member of their rewards program, my purchase involved both the use of Frequent Flyer points and money, which was billed to my credit card, in exchange for some physical items.

The way that they advertised their pricing was in their frequent flyer store, which involved a variable system of Frequent Flyer Points only, or points + cash. I chose the minimum amount of points and the maximum amount of cash.

Qantas have sent me an email claiming that there was a pricing mistake and that they will not be honouring the deal as it was advertised and would refund the frequent flyer points and payment. They are offering a discount code with a 20% discount on the revised price + points offer they have set for the item.

My understanding is that generally, vendors are not requiring to honour deals where there is a pricing mistake. However, they have confirmed the purchase and processed my payment - my understanding was that the contract is complete at this point and they may have to honour it.

Can anybody please clarify if they know where Australian Consumer Law stands on this?

Many thanks!

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
This is not straightforward or easily answerable online.

Need to read the terms and conditions of the contract to see if they have covered themselves for this possibility and how you agreed to the T&Cs.